Designed for programmers with large heterogeneous trees of source code, ack is written purely in portable Perl 5 and takes advantage of the power of Perl’s regular expressions.
For more details, check out the external changelog.
Released on 2018-06-21
- No changes since 2.23_03.
Released on 2018-06-15
- Added --ts for Typescript
- ack would stop searching if there was a file called "0" in the current directory where ack was invoked
Released on 2018-01-06
- t/ack-n.t was not calling lists_match() correctly
- Added an optimization to make ack only do a line-by-line search of a file if there's a match somewhere in the file. This gives ack a 20-30% in timings of common cases.
Released on 2017-12-22
- No changes since 2.21_01
Released on 2013-04-17
- By default searches all text files, as identified by Perl's `-T` operator
- We will no longer have a `-a` switch.
- Improved flexibility in defining filetype selectors
- name equality ($filename eq 'Makefile')
- glob-style matching (`*.pl` identifies a Perl file)
- regex-style matching (`/\.pl$/i` identifies a Perl file)
- shebang-line matching (shebang line matching `/usr/bin/perl/` identifies a Perl file)
- support for multiple ackrc files
- global ackrc (/etc/ackrc)
- user-specific ackrc (~/.ackrc)
- per-project ackrc files (~/myproject/.ackrc)
- you can use --dump to figure which options are set where
- all inclusion/exclusion rules will be in the ackrc files
- ack 2.0 has a set of definitions for filetypes, directories to include or exclude, etc, *but* these are only included so you don't need to ship an ackrc file to a new machine. You may tell ack to disregard these defaults if you like.
- In addition to the classic `--thpppt` option to draw Bill the Cat, `ack --bar` will draw (of course) Admiral Ackbar.
Less ▲Older Versions ▼
Search input files for lines containing a pattern
Like ack, but better
Suitable for searching large code repositories.
Faster grep alternative using multiple cores
Includes feature to AND and OR patterns
Lets you search for multiple keywords at a time.
A grep program configured in a different way
Inspired by ack, but built on top of nodejs
An implementation of ack, written in Node.js
Text search tool that operates at the paragraph level
Grep with a PCRE regex engine
Ack clone written in Python
The Platinum Searcher supports multi platforms and encodings
Clone of ack with some visual tweaks
Faster than everything else
Faster than ag search tool
Tiny search utility adopting some of ack's features
Universal Code Grep is a fast ack-like search tool
Visual ack for the Mac